We've asked our Deloitte Digital colleagues to give us a quick tip sheet for those looking at a career in programming.
Eóin and Jacob are our resident iOS developers who specialises in user-experience-focused apps. From flying drones in North Wales, to attending LGBTQ late opening and working recruit new graduates to join Deloitte Digital so there's never a dull day!
Get ready, here's their insights and tips to starting a career in programming:
- Interest in Coding - As an engineering applicant you need to be able to code some. But if you didn’t do it at university, proving you’re interested by teaching yourself is a great way to get an edge. Use Udacity, Big Nerd Ranch or Ray Wenderlich for beginner-level tutorials. Showcase your projects and get inspiration from others with GitHub.
- Commercial Awareness - Be sure to keep up-to-date on recent business news and understand current world events. Read the Financial Times or the Economist critically to develop this.
- Work Experience - For many places, this is a must as it proves you can operate in a workplace environment.
- Extra Curricular Activities - Have you been in a band? Have you helped run a society at university? Played in a sports team? All of these show dedication and develop key soft skills.
- Previous Entrepreneurial Endeavours - Selling t-shirts on your website or making profit on an event you set up all count!
- Being Friendly & Approachable - The seemingly banal trait of being a nice person actually goes a long long way in landing a job at Deloitte.
Do you have questions for Eóin and Jacob? Leave your question below and they'll get back to you!