TeamOur own Nehal, from Forensic Technology blogs her experiences so far at Deloitte.

“I am currently a part of the Forensic Technology graduate training scheme, which I started in 2014, after completing a Bachelor’s degree in Physics at Imperial College London.”

“The scheme comprises of one year in Forensic Analytics and one year in Electronic Discovery, which I am under taking at present. I am going to focus on one part of the E-discovery discipline: data collection. Last month I travelled to Copenhagen with the team below to participate in my first ever data collection. I learned how to dismantle laptops to remove the hard drives and set up the equipment needed in order to image them.”

Even though this picture looks a little intimidating, the process is quite simple once you understand the purpose of each component.

As this was my first ever onsite data collection I was a bit nervous but the rest of the team were very supportive. EquipmentThey helped me develop the skills needed so that, by the end of the day, I was able to proceed with little help. It was fantastic that I was given the opportunity to go to Copenhagen and I find that even though I had completed training in this area, you often learn more on the job.

We are also lucky in that a lot of our projects in Forensics are based abroad, which means we are provided with ample opportunity to meet and work with our colleagues from the Deloitte offices in other countries and explore new and exciting places. (Check out Copenhagen below).

So, if you feel like learning more about this electrifying line of work, then please don’t hesitate to reach out to me and leave a comment below. I will be only too happy to help!

Copenhagen

Comments

• Hello Nehal,

I am currently applying to the Forensic Technology graduate scheme and just wanted to ask you a few questions:
    -What programming languages do you use other than SQL?
    -If any, what qualifications do you get the chance to take up?
    -The scheme seems to cover a wide variety of areas, how much support do you get and what is the learning curve like?
    -What is the social side of life like at Deloitte?
    Thanks for your time!

Kind Regards,
    Sanjeev

Posted by: Sanjeev Toora on 14/02/2016

• Hello Nehal,

I am currently looking at applying to the graduate Forensic Technology scheme and just wanted to ask a few questions:
    1) What kind of programming languages do you use other than SQL?
    2) If any, what qualifications do you get the chance to take up?
    3) What are the social side of things like at Deloitte?
    4) Any advice for the interview process? (If I get there!)
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions :)

Kind Regards,
    Sanj

Posted by: Sanjeev Toora on 16/02/2016

• Hi Sanjeev,

Glad to hear you are applying to the graduate scheme.

So, in Forensic Analytics we also do a lot of development work using Python and C#, so there is ample opportunity to learn multiple languages. The learning curve can be quite steep, depending on how much experience you have had with programming languages, but I had very little experience and found that people were really supportive and took the time to explain how processes work. At the start of the graduate program, we have Bootcamp training that goes through all the applications and skills needed for project work, which is very useful.

During the two-year scheme, we aren’t required to take any formal qualifications, however there are many internal courses that Deloitte offer, which provide ongoing learning. For example, there are VBA courses and SQL courses that you can attend. Also, if you choose to go into eDiscovery, you have the opportunity to gain various qualifications such as the Relativity Certified Administrator (RCA) certification and the EnCase Certified Examiner Certification (EnCE).

With regards to the social life, there are many sports, music and charity societies here at Deloitte that you can join. In Financial Advisory (FA), we also have an Associate Committee that organises lunch time and evening events, giving you a chance to meet Associates from all other FA departments. In Forensic Technology, we usually have a social every month where we go out for a meal or have activities such as bowling, which are great fun.

As part of the application process, you will have two interviews. The first interview has two parts – the first part is a case study and in the second part you will be asked to talk in some detail about a challenging project or piece of work you have done. The interviewer will be interested in aspects such as your motivation to get things done, how you approach tasks and how well you work with others. The final interview is with a Director or Partner, where you deliver a presentation on a commercial awareness topic given to you about a week before, so be sure to gather as much information as possible and research specific details.

Hope this gives you more of an idea of what life is like at Deloitte and good luck with your application!

Nehal

Posted by: Nehal on 19/02/2016

• That was really helpful! Thanks for your help Nehal.

Kind Regards,
    Sanj

Posted by: Sanjeev Toora on 07/03/2016

• Forensic technology seems like a very interesting career. I would like to inquire

How can one apply for the program?
    Is it available in other countries or just the UK?
    What other qualifications are required apart from programming?

Posted by: Mart on 15/07/2016

• great stuff

Posted by: rondity on 01/07/2017

• Quiet impressive blog and information.

Posted by: Purity Karani on 02/07/2017

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...